All Paris-Bourbon County Library staff members are trained to understand and embrace the notion that the Library patrons are valuable and should be treated with great respect. Staff members know that patrons have rights and these rights include:
1. Library patrons are always greeted with a verbal acknowledgement, a smile (and established eye contact) and treated courteously, in all circumstances.
2. Library patrons are able to check out books and other materials, register for new cards, and pay fines without undue red tape or delays.
3. Library patrons are able to get current bestsellers and popular materials in a reasonable amount of time.
4. Every effort will be made to resolve Library patron complaints within 24 hours.
5. Library patron’s phone calls will not be transferred or left on “hold” unnecessarily.
6. Library patrons should expect us to make the Library System work for them.
7. Library patrons are able to suggest new materials and services, and find out what happens to their suggestions.
8. Library patrons who are children have the same rights and deserve the same courteous and considerate treatment as adult library patrons.
9. There are no stupid patron questions. Library patrons are entitled to accurate information and answers to all their questions.
10. Library patrons are entitled to clean, safe, and reasonably quiet library buildings.
11. Library patrons are the most important people in our business, external and internal
12. Library patrons are not dependent on us; we are dependent on them.
13. Library patrons are not an interruption of our work but the purpose of it.
14. Library patrons do us an honor when calling on us. We are not doing them a favor by serving them.
15. Library patrons are part of our business, not outsiders. Library patrons are our guests.
16. Library patrons are not cold statistics, but flesh and blood, humans with feelings and emotions like our own.
17. Library patrons are not people to argue with or match wits with.
18. Library patrons are people who bring us their wants. Our job is to fill those wants.
19. Library patrons are deserving of the most courteous and attentive treatment we can provide.
20. Library patrons have the right to expect an employee to present a neat, clean appearance.
PARIS-BOURBON COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY
701 High Street
Paris, Kentucky 40361